Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is by far the prettiest, easiest (no rolling) and best tasting sugar cookie I have ever made. They look like they came right out of the bakery. Try them-- then stand back and wait for the oohs and ahs!!!!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease two baking sheets.
- Cream sugar and butter together until light.
- Beat in yolks and vanilla.
- Sift together the measured sifted flour, baking soda and cream of tartar then fold into the butter sugar mixture.
- Form dough into walnut size balls.
- Place 2" apart on the cookie sheets.
- Do not flatten.
- Bake for about 11 minutes until the tops are cracked and just turning color.
- Cool on cookie sheet 2 minutes.
Needed a quick recipe for a last-minute event - WOW! I used 1/4 cup LESS sugar, 3/4 TABLESPOON vanilla, and I rolled the 24 cookie balls (made 'em a touch larger) in the 1/4 cup of sugar saved from recipe. Since I'm at a higher elevation I baked for 11 minutes at 375 degrees.<br/>This is a keeper!
These cookies are awesome!!! Made one batch for my daughter's gymnatics party and then turned around and made a second for here at home. Super easy and tastes good!! Dipped the faces of the cookies in red and white sugar crystals and baked mine an extra 2 - 3 minutes to brown slightly. Definitely will make these again. Thanks for the great recipe!!
These were quite tasty, but didn't crackle for me. We baked them close to 15 minutes and still no crackle but still soft on the inside. Rolled them in sugar before baking. Will make again as they were very easy to make and will be pretty rolled in colored sugar