Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is by far the prettiest, easiest (no rolling) and best tasting sugar cookie I have ever made. They look like they came right out of the bakery. Try them-- then stand back and wait for the oohs and ahs!!!!
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease two baking sheets.
- Cream sugar and butter together until light.
- Beat in yolks and vanilla.
- Sift together the measured sifted flour, baking soda and cream of tartar then fold into the butter sugar mixture.
- Form dough into walnut size balls.
- Place 2" apart on the cookie sheets.
- Do not flatten.
- Bake for about 11 minutes until the tops are cracked and just turning color.
- Cool on cookie sheet 2 minutes.
Excellent recipe! Soft and chewy in the center and crispy, crunchy around the edges.....best ever!
Needed a quick recipe for a last-minute event - WOW! I used 1/4 cup LESS sugar, 3/4 TABLESPOON vanilla, and I rolled the 24 cookie balls (made 'em a touch larger) in the 1/4 cup of sugar saved from recipe. Since I'm at a higher elevation I baked for 11 minutes at 375 degrees.<br/>This is a keeper!
These cookies are awesome!!! Made one batch for my daughter's gymnatics party and then turned around and made a second for here at home. Super easy and tastes good!! Dipped the faces of the cookies in red and white sugar crystals and baked mine an extra 2 - 3 minutes to brown slightly. Definitely will make these again. Thanks for the great recipe!!