Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Southern Living. Must chill for 8 hours and Stand for 2 hours.
- 0.5 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 2 cups whipping cream, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- Fit piecrust into a 9-inch pieplate according to package directions; fold edges under, and crimp.
- Cook milk in a medium-size heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, 10 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in pumpkin.
- Stir in 1 cup whipping cream and next 4 ingredients until smooth. Pour into crust.
- Bake at 350° on bottom oven rack for 40 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Chill 8 hours.
- Cook 3 tablespoons water, corn syrup, and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, without stirring, until a candy thermometer registers 300° (hard-crack stage). Pour immediately over pie, and quickly spread mixture with a metal spatula. Let stand 2 hours before serving. Tap hard sugar topping with back of a spoon to crack.
- Beat remaining 1 cup whipping cream at medium speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Serve with pie.
I found this recipe on the Southern Living website and am so glad to see it posted here! This pie is FABULOUS! While it does take some time to make (most of that is chilling/standing time), it is worth it. The pie is very creamy and would be great without the caramel top but the caramel topping really makes the pie. I served with the leftover whipped cream ~ YUM! This would be a great addition to anyone's holiday meal! Thanks for posting!!!