Prep 15 mins
Cook 24 mins
This is a very simple, very tasty snack or appetizer. They freeze well, so you can take them out and make as many as you want. They are equally fitting for elegant cocktail parties or Super Bowl Sunday! (This recipe stretches well. Add more Cheez Whiz, butter and english muffins for folks who don't want as much of the crab taste.)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (5 ounce) jar Cheese Whiz
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can crabmeat, drained
- 6 English muffins, split
- Soften butter and cheese at room temperature.
- Blend cheese, butter and salts, add crabmeat.
- Spread mixture on split muffins.
- Cut muffins into 6 pie shaped slices and place on cookie sheet.
- Broil 2 minutes or until bubbly or bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes.
- If desired, freeze until ready to use. (Note: If you are planning to freeze your canapies immediately, do not cut them until they are frozen. Just lay out the halves on a cookie sheet and freeze. Then, while they are still frozen, take an electric knife and cut the english muffin halves into canapies. Once you have cut them all, place in zip-top bags for long-term storage. By slicing them while frozen, they are easier to cut, and you won't lose any crabmeat spread this way! Place the canapies on a baking sheet in the freezer and then place in Zip-Loc bags when frozen).
- Then, place on a baking sheet and thaw for 10 minutes before baking/broiling.
These are so yummy. I sometimes add more cheeze whiz and leave out the butter. I also make it with tinned salmon or tuna and sprinkle some parmesan on top for a bit of crunch.
I made these for my Oscar Party last Sunday. They were awesome! I made ahead and froze them and popped them in the oven and I couldn't keep up with the demand! Next time I think I'll make a double batch. Thanks for an easy appetizer dish!