Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
From Food Network Magazine June/July 2009. This comes from the Four Seasons in New York.
Make and share this Crabmeat Cakes With Mustard Sauce recipe from Food.com.
For the Cakes
- 6 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 1 lb lump crabmeat, picked over for shells
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped dill pickle
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, for frying
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for frying
For the Sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the crab cakes: Pulse the bread in a food processor to make coarse crumbs; spread out the crumbs on a sheet pan.
- In a large bowl, mix the crab, mayonnaise, egg yolk, celery and pickles.
- Form into 8 oval-shaped cakes.
- Dredge each crab cake in the breadcrumbs, coating them all over; place on a plate and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Make the sauce: In a small saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter.
- Stir in the flour, curry powder and paprika; cook until the flour and spices lose their raw smell, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and milk.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until thickened, 5 minutes.
- Stir in the mustard and mustard seeds; simmer to develop the flavors, about 5 more minutes.
- Whisk in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter; add ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Fry the crab cakes: Melt the 1 tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add the crab cakes; cook until browned on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn and cook until evenly browned on all sides.
- Serve with the mustard sauce.