Vino Girl's Note:
From Food Network Magazine June/July 2009. This comes from the Four Seasons in New York.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Cakes
- 6 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 1 lb lump crabmeat, picked over for shells
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, for frying
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for frying
For the Sauce
- 1Prepare the crab cakes: Pulse the bread in a food processor to make coarse crumbs; spread out the crumbs on a sheet pan.
- 2In a large bowl, mix the crab, mayonnaise, egg yolk, celery and pickles.
- 3Form into 8 oval-shaped cakes.
- 4Dredge each crab cake in the breadcrumbs, coating them all over; place on a plate and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- 5Make the sauce: In a small saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter.
- 6Stir in the flour, curry powder and paprika; cook until the flour and spices lose their raw smell, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 7Add the chicken broth and milk.
- 8Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until thickened, 5 minutes.
- 9Stir in the mustard and mustard seeds; simmer to develop the flavors, about 5 more minutes.
- 10Whisk in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter; add ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- 11Fry the crab cakes: Melt the 1 tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet.
- 12Add the crab cakes; cook until browned on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 13Turn and cook until evenly browned on all sides.
- 14Serve with the mustard sauce.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crabmeat Cakes With Mustard Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 266.1
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 88.8 mg
- Sodium 591.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 16.5 g