Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
I went to fish market a couple of weeks back to buy some king crab legs and oysters to make oysters kilpatrick to start followed by crab stuffed ostrich. This is what I had on hand, but this recipe would also work great with beef. Anyway I did not realise how much meat would come from just two legs, and I ended up making crab topped oysters instead of kilpatrick and still had enough to make creamy crab pasta for the kids and still had loads left for the ostrich. You can see from the photos just how large ther were. I am going to have to guess the amount of crab I used for the stuffing. The total weight of the legs with shell on was 880 grams, and after removing meat I was able to make three different things, so I did get quite a lot. This is a very elegant and quite expensive meal so it is one for a dinner party or special occasion. I have said 3-4 servings depending on appetites, if serving as part of a meal with several courses then definitely 4 and maybe even 5.
- 1 (800 g) ostrich fillets or 1 (800 g) filet of beef, if making with that
- olive oil
- 5 slices pancetta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 celery rib, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon fish stock granules
- 350 -400 g fresh lump crabmeat (I am guessing on weight so please adjust.)
- 3 -4 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Scotch whisky
- 200 g mushrooms, stems removed, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon beef stock granules
- 2 tablespoons Scotch whisky, extra
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cracked black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 250 ml cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped finely
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornflour
- Heat oil in a pan add onions, garlic and celery cook a few minutes to soften celery and onion, add stock, seasoning, water, breadcrumbs, parsley and crab meat stir to combine, remove from heat.
- Slice the ostrich or beef down the centre lengthwise being careful not to cut all the way through. Open out and using a meat mallet flatten, unti,l more or less of equal thickness.
- Spread crab stuffing down one half of meat, fold the other half over and secure with kitchen string at close intervals to form a roll shape. Heat some olive oil in a pan sear meat on all sides.
- Remove and transfer to a lightly oiled ovenproof dish lay the 5 slices of pancetta over the top and cook in pre-heated oven 180ºC for about 35-40 Min's for medium rare to medium.
- Allow to rest before carving.
- De glaze the same pan you seared the meat in with 2 tablespoons whisky, add butter to the pan and melt, add mushroom and garlic and cook until tender.
- Add lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, stock, Dijon, extra whisky, stir to combine.
- Mix a little water with cornflour add a little to sauce and stir to thicken slightly. Pour in cream and turn heat up a little add remaining cornflour stir until mixture thickens and stir in tarragon. Serve with meat.
- I served mine over spinach cooked in a little butter and garlic with some chopped red pepper and topped with asparagus bacon wrapped bundles.
- To Serve: Slice Ostrich or beef into slices and arrange on a plate pour sauce over top with asparagus bundles if desired.