Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
For a family pleasing dinner in cooler weather serve this yummy pot roast with mashed potatoes, your favorite veg and hot rolls.
- Trim fat from beef. Season beef on all sides with salt and pepper.
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven brown beef on all sides in hot oil.
- Remove beef from Dutch oven and set aside.
- In same Dutch oven cook onions over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes or just until edges begin to brown.
- Stir in garlic; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Place beef on onion mixture.
- Add coffee, tomatoes, and mole sauce.
- Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beef is tender.
This roast came out being pretty amazing- way better than I thought I was capable of making. The gravy was the star, for sure. Instead of mole sauce, I used adobo sauce and some cocoa powder. The coffee gives the gravy an unbelievably deep, meaty flavor. I added diced potatoes and carrots to the pot during the last hour of cooking for a complete one-pot meal.
Delicious! This roast turned out very flavorful and tender. We loved it. I will make again. Thanks for sharing!
I cooked mine for 3 hours to get my meat nice and tender, and it was delicious. I wasn't sure about the mole sauce...what I found was concentrated, so I guessed on the amount. This was such a nice change from my regular post roast with potatoes, carrots, and celery. I really enjoyed the gravy, and the meat was fork tender. Thanks for sharing!