Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I saw Ina Gartner, the Barefoot Contessa, preparing this dish during the "Friends of Friends" episode of her show.
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter
- 177.44 ml chopped shallot (3 to 4 shallots)
- 709.77 ml chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 2.46 ml kosher salt
- 2.46 ml freshly ground black pepper
- 354.88 ml couscous
- 118.29 ml toasted pine nuts (pignolis)
- 59.14 ml dried currant
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the shallots and cook them over medium-low heat for 3 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the chicken stock, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat. Stir in the couscous, cover the pan, and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Add the pine nuts, currants, and parsley and fluff with a fork to combine. Serve hot.
I scaled this back for 2 serves and as the only side it filled 3 of us more than adequately. The only changes I made was to use olive oil instead of butter and use sultanas in place of the currants otherwise made to recipe and think using the chicken stock added a nice flavour instead of using water. Thank you NorthwestGal, made for All You Can Eat Buffet.
Wonderful! This is so simple, quick, easy and very tasty. Made as written using whole wheat couscous. The chicken stock really brings a lot of flavor to this side. DH like the little sweetness of the currants and I liked the crunch of the toasted pine nuts. Thanks so much for the post.