Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Food and Wine magazine, posted for ZWT3. I haven't tried this yet... "Served on a mound of couscous, with plenty of steaming broth poured over the top, the hearty Moroccan-inspired stew is a flavorful combination of chicken, chickpeas, vegetables, and spices."
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 onion, cut into thin slices
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 6 cups water
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (1 2/3 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped and packed in
- 1 1⁄3 cups couscous
- In a large deep frying pan or Dutch oven, heat the oil over moderately high heat.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Put the chicken in the pan and brown well, about 8 minutes in all.
- Remove. Pour off all but 1 tbsp of the fat. Reduce heat to moderately low.
- Add the onion and turnip and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, paprika, cumin, cayenne, and 2 1/4 tsp of the salt. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in 4 cups of the water and the carrots.
- Add in the chicken and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook, stirring the mixture two or three times, until the chicken and vegetables are almost done, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas and parsley and simmer until the chicken and vegetables are done, about 5 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the remaining 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the remaining 1/4 tsp salt and couscous.
- Cover. Remove the pot from the heat and let the couscous stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Serve the stew with its broth over the couscous.
I made this tonight for dinner. I used chicken broth instead of water. Also I had boiled 5 pounds of frozen skinless/boneless chicken breasts and cubed it. I used about 8 ounces of this cooked, cubed chicken to make the recipe and just added it with the veggies later in the recipe. I didn't have a turnip, so used two potatoes. It was delicious
I made this a fortnight ago with all the set ingrediants. It was yummy. I would use chicken without bone coz it fell off the bone any ways, so i was watching out for bone instead of thouraghly enjoying the meal. The only other thing is i did different was chickpeas not from a can and they were really hard and ruined the meal for me. We did try boiling them before hand but it did not work out. This was the first time i had eaten couscous, mmm i am in love! =]
4 3/4 stars!!! It's that good! DH and I liked this one a lot. I used a whole chicken, potato instead of turnip as thats what I had, and some fresh mushrooms. I left out the cayenne out of preference and added 3/4 tsp. Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix I served it atop rice cooked in some of the juices and extra chicken stock to keep it wheat free. The rice was really delicious cooked that way. I sprinkled a little chopped parsley on the top for presentation. This was a GOOD meal I would make again.