1/1 Photo of Couscous With Chicken and Chickpeas
From Food and Wine magazine, posted for ZWT3. I haven't tried this yet... "Served on a mound of couscous, with plenty of steaming broth poured over the top, the hearty Moroccan-inspired stew is a flavorful combination of chicken, chickpeas, vegetables, and spices."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 onion, cut into thin slices
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 6 cups water
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (1 2/3 cups)
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped and packed in
- 1 1/3 cups couscous
- 1In a large deep frying pan or Dutch oven, heat the oil over moderately high heat.
- 2Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Put the chicken in the pan and brown well, about 8 minutes in all.
- 3Remove. Pour off all but 1 tbsp of the fat. Reduce heat to moderately low.
- 4Add the onion and turnip and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- 5Stir in the tomato paste, paprika, cumin, cayenne, and 2 1/4 tsp of the salt. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- 6Stir in 4 cups of the water and the carrots.
- 7Add in the chicken and bring to a simmer.
- 8Cover and cook, stirring the mixture two or three times, until the chicken and vegetables are almost done, about 20 minutes.
- 9Stir in the chickpeas and parsley and simmer until the chicken and vegetables are done, about 5 minutes longer.
- 10Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the remaining 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the remaining 1/4 tsp salt and couscous.
- 11Cover. Remove the pot from the heat and let the couscous stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- 12Serve the stew with its broth over the couscous.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Couscous With Chicken and Chickpeas
Serving Size: 1 (797 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 691.1
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 118.2 mg
- Sodium 2318.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.7 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 42.5 g