Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Savoury couscous salad. I invented it one day when the cupboards were empty and we were really hungry. The trick is to get the couscous right. It's very hard not to over-cook it!
- 100 g couscous (loose, not in a boil bag)
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
- 10 sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 onion (medium size)
- 1 garlic clove
- 100 g fenugreek leaves (about a handful) (optional)
- 100 g sliced almonds (about a handful) (optional)
- Cook the couscous: place in saucepan with water (for every cup of couscous, add 2 cups of water), sprinkle chicken stock generously, add one table spoon of olive oil, and leave covered on medium heat. Open cover every now and then and give couscous a stir. DO NOT let the water boil - just slowly cook into couscous until soft. Leave standing and covered for 2 minutes once done.
- While couscous is cooking, slice onion to small squares and fry separately. sprinkle some brown sugar sparingly to stop onion from burning. Wait until brown and throw into eating bowl.
- Cut the sundried tomatoes into smaller pieces (but not too small) and add to bowl.
- Add the almonds to the bowl (if applicable).
- The couscous should be ready by now. Add it to bowl and mix everything thoroughly.
- Crush 1 clove of garlic and add fenugreek (if applicable).
- Mix everything well in the bowl. Enjoy!