This is the recipe I took to compete in the Cleveland County Fair. I won second place!
Make and share this County Fair Red Velvet Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 ounces red food coloring (or 1 oz. mixed with 1 oz. water)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 lb butter (no subs)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream shortening with sugar; add eggs.
- Combine cocoa and food coloring to make a paste.
- Stir into creamed mixture.
- Sift four and salt together.
- Then with electric mixer at medium speed, add alternately with buttermilk to mixture.
- Blend well; add vanilla.
- Combine vinegar and soda and while still foaming, add to batter.
- Do not beat; instead stir gently.
- Bake in 2 greased and floured layer cake pans at 350° for 30-35 minutes.
- Icing: Cook flour and milk over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly.
- Add sugar, butter and vanilla.
- Beat at high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Spread on cooled cake.
- Icing will take a length of time to set; it resembles whip cream when cool.