Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
We think this is the best white bread recipe ever! It is a tender bread with a slightly sweet taste. My dinner rolls using this dough are so good, everyone always loves them. It doesn't take to long to make them when the bread maker does most of the work. The cook time is listed for the rolls only because everyone's bread makers cooks at different rates. Mine is older and a regular loaf will take 4 hours and 10 minutes. I have found that 15 balls of dough fit perfectly in the 9X13 pan with sides touching after raising the 2nd time but they can be made whatever size you want. I hope you enjoy this great bread as much as we do.
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients from flour through yeast in order as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Select the basic bread setting.
- Check dough after 5 minutes of mixing, if needed add 1-2T of water or flour.
- Bake as normal.
- For dinner rolls.
- Mix in bread machine but use only the dough option.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking pan (I always use a metal pan).
- When dough is finished shape into 15 uniformly sized balls. I always grease my hands with shortening to smooth the dough out and it helps keep the dough from drying out.
- Cover and let the rolls rise in a warm, draft free place until risen to the desired size.
- I let them about double in size.
- Bake in a 350° oven about 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- After removing from the oven, brush the tops of the rolls with melted butter.
- Take out of pan and let completely cool before storing.
DDW - these ARE the best rolls! I made a triple batch for Thanksgiving. I used my bread machine (3 batches), shaped them, then froze them individually. When frozen, placed in a Ziploc bag, and removed as many as needed. I let them thaw and rise in a greased pan (took about 4 hours), just in time to pop in the oven while the turkey rested. They were the star of the show. I've now made a 2nd batch for Christmas - added just a bit more salt, but followed your directions otherwise. SO glad I found this recipe!
05/10/09: Ha! I wrote my first review back in 2007. This recipe has been my go-to recipe since then. It never fails me. TIPS: I always beat the egg before I put it into the bread machine. I also use 1/2 white Better For Bread or All-Purpose flour & 1/2 whole wheat. I like to make the rolls. They turn out better for me when I shape them into 20 rolls. I freeze the shaped dough & keep in freezer baggies until I need them. Let thaw & rise while preheating oven. For me, the rolls take about 25 minutes to bake. Excellent! ~ Keli . . . . . . 02/08/07: This bread was outstanding on my subsequent tries on the full cycle. My first attempt on ExpressBake rated about 2 stars. That wasn't a total loss, tho, cuz the birds & animals loved it. ~ Keli
Really love this bread! Its got a crispy top and its very very soft in the middle. It might be hard for some to get good slices for sandwiches because of how soft it is, but the first two slice of my loaf were perfect for a sandwich. And it tasts really good. I made this 3 times. The first time was a mistake cause i used all purpose flour. The second time it came out better. The third time was the best! I made the dough in my bread machine then baked in my loaf pan for 24 min at 375. You get a bigger loaf that way and taste better to me.