Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is like a breakfast lasagna.
- 8 ounces turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 loaf egg bread or 1⁄2 loaf country bread, cut into 1/2 inch-thick slices (preferably 1 to 2 days old)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 8 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tomatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 12 ounces fontina or 12 ounces swiss cheese, grated (4 cups)
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9" x 13" or 8" x 12" baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, break up sausage and sauté with olive oil and onion until golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, if using fresh bread, lightly toast and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk rosemary, cream, half-and-half, eggs, salt, and pepper, and set aside.
- Lay half of bread in buttered baking dish, sprinkle with half of sausage mixture, half of tomato slices, and half of cheese.
- Repeat layering with remaining bread, sausage, tomato, and cheese.
- Slowly pour egg mixture over top.
- Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Uncover and place baking dish on a baking sheet to catch overflow.
- Bake 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow to sit 10 minutes before serving.