1/5 Photos of Country Chicken Casserole Pie
1 hr 37 mins
1 hr 7 mins
Entry for RSC Winter January 2005 -- Main Dish
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium red potatoes, unpeeled, par boiled in salted water and cubed
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cubed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 1/2 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 anaheim chilies (optional) or 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup snap peas, strings removed and cut in half (or frozen regular peas if you wish)
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- 1/4-1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, whole
- 1Preheat oven to 400f degrees.
- 2Par boil scrubed, quartered, unpeeled potatoes in salted water, approximately 10 minutes, cool and cube into 1/2 inch pieces; set aside.
- 3Place coriander, cumin, salt and pepper in plastic bag; add chicken cubes and shake to coat; refrigerate until ready to use.
- 4In a large nonstick frypan, on medium high heat, melt 1/4 cup butter with olive oil, stir to mix.
- 5Add onions and mushrooms, saute until onions are just beginning to turn brown, about 8 minutes; add garlic, Anaheim pepper(if using) and chicken cubes with spices and any accumulated juices in bag, cook, stirring for 4 minutes.
- 6Add wine and deglaze pan, cook and stir another 2 minutes.
- 7Add 1 cup chicken stock, cook and stir 1 minute.
- 8In the meantime, add flour to 1/2 cup chicken stock and whisk until smooth; add to frypan while stirring to mix.
- 9Bring to simmer, simmer 1 minute, or until thickened, add snap peas and potatoes.
- 10Taste and adjust seasoning.
- 11Remove from heat and set aside until ready to pour into prepared phyllo crust.
- 12Phyllo Crust:.
- 13On a dampened teatowel, lay out 8 phyllo pastry sheets; cover with a second dampened teatowel, keep covered while using so that it will not dry out.
- 14Brush medium size casserole with melted butter.
- 15Brush melted butter on one phyllo sheet, cover with a second sheet and brush second sheet with melted butter.
- 16Place the two sheets in buttered casserole, with the sheet edges/corners hanging over the casserole edge.
- 17Separate the spinach leaves into 4 piles, removing any long stems.
- 18Place one pile of spinach leaves in a layer to cover the bottom of the casserole on top of the pastry sheets.
- 19Repeat this 3 more times, rotating the pastry sheets so that the pastry corners are beside each other around the casserole edge; ending with a layer of spinach.
- 20Pour chicken mixture into spinach lined crust; smooth top and fold edges of phyllo over filling with the corners meeting in the centre; turn phyllo corner ends up to form an opening for steam release.
- 21Liberally brush top of pie with melted butter.
- 22Place on centre rack in 400f degree oven for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350f degrees and bake a further 35 minutes or until filling is bubbling and pastry is golden and crisp.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Country Chicken Casserole Pie
Serving Size: 1 (472 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 611.4
- Calories from Fat 279
- Total Fat 31.0 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 97.9 mg
- Sodium 1120.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 23.2 g