Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
In 'Williams-Sonoma: Muffins'
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped (or 1 cup dark or golden raisins)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄3 cup almond oil or 1⁄3 cup walnut oil or 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup applesauce (9oz, use glass measuring cup)
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Grease 12 standard cups with butter or butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, walnuts, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice.
- In another bowl, whisk together the oil, egg, and applesauce until smooth.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and stir in the applesauce mixture just until evenly moistened.
- The batter may seem dry at first, but it will loosen and smooth out as you beat the mixture.
- Spoon the batter into each muffin cup, filling it level with the rim of the cup.
- Bake until golden, dry and springy to the touch, 25-30 minutes.
- A pick inserted into the center of a muffin should come out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Unmold the muffins.
- Serve them warm or at room temperature, with butter.