Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
We love Costco's quinoa salad so I was thrilled when I stumbled across the recipe in finecooking.com It's best to make this salad the day before you plan to serve it to give the grains time to absorb the vinaigrette and to let the flavors blend. Take it out of the fridge 30 to 45 minutes before serving for the best flavor.
- 2 cups red and white quinoa (mixed)
- kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive
- 1⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, more as needed
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar or 3 tablespoons rice vinegar, more as needed
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, more as needed
- 1 -2 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup chopped roma tomato
- 3⁄4 cup diced English cucumber (1/2 inch dice)
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced scallion
- 3⁄4 cup diced red bell pepper (1/4 inch dice)
- 1 cup cooked red lentil
- 1 cup cooked mung beans
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (leaves and stems)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly under cold water and drain.
- Bring 7 cups water to a boil in a 4 quart pot over high heat.
- Add 3/4 teaspoons salt; add quinoa, reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally and adding more boiling water as needed to keep the quinoa covered, until tender (about 15 to 20 minutes).
- Drain and rinse the quinoa with cold water to stop the cooking.
- Transfer quinoa to a foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and toss lightly to coat.
- Spread the quinoa on the baking sheet and cool completely at room temperature or in the fridge.
- Put vinegar and lemon juice in a small bowl and gradually whisk in the 1/3 cup olive oil (vinaigrette).
- Whisk in lemon zest; taste; season with salt, pepper and additional vinegar and lemon juice or olive oil as needed.
- Place cooked and cooled quinoa in large serving bowl and toss to break up any clumps.
- Add tomatoes, cucumbers, scallions, bell peppers, lentils, mung beans, cilantro and parsley plus 1/2 cup vinaigrette and toss.
- Taste and season as needed with more vinaigrette, salt and pepper.
- Serve or refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- If making ahead, allow salad to sit at room temperature so it's not refrigerator-cold and season with more vinaigrette, salt and pepper before serving.
Great recipe but the nutritional information seems to be way off... If anyone can make sense please share.
I bought this salad today at Costco's. It does not list sugar or cumin in the ingredients.
Looks like a great recipe. Can't wait to try it. Only thing is the Qunioa salad I got at Costco had cumin in it too.