Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This cake is a specialty at Cafe Cartago, Commerce City, Colorado
Make and share this Costa Rican Raisin Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup freshly brewed coffee
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup seedless raisin
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix cornstarch and coffee in saucepan until smooth.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add raisins and nuts and set aside while preparing batter.
- Beat butter until soft and fluffy.
- Add brown sugar and remaining white sugar and continue beating until thick and light in color.
- Add cream of tartar and baking soda together and add alternately with milk.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Pour 1/2 the batter into a buttered 8-inch square pan.
- Spread with raisin mixture and cover with remaining batter.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 40 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- Cool and turn out of pan and cut into nine squares.
We enjoyed this raisin cake, will definitely make it again! Next time I will add some rum to the raisin/nut mixture, I know it will be delicious! My cake was done in 40 minutes, this is a nice easy recipe.
This cake is absolutely delicious! I added the beaten egg to step number 5. I added the flour, cream of tartar and baking soda together in a bowl (Step 6). I added the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture alternating with the milk (Step 6). The result is a fabulous coffee cake that is moist with a sweet and nutty filler. The center of the cake was not done after 40 minutes so I covered the edges with foil and baked for an additional 10 minutes. When I bake this again I will cover the cake at about 25 minutes with foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes - then for another 5 minutes or so without the foil. Thanks Mercy.
Warning! The recipe does not specify when to add the flour or eggs!! It was a flop for us!!