Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this recipe in a little ad supplement of the Fort Worth Star Telegram. Posting it here for Zaar World Tour II and also so I don't lose it!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder, plus
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into cubes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 ripe peaches, peeled, pitted & sliced
- 16 mint leaves, torn
- Make a simple syrup for the peaches:.
- Combine sugar & water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Swirl the pan until all the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat & cool in the fridge. (We'll use it later).
- Preheat oven to 425 º.
- Place flour, cornmeal, baking powder salt & 3 tablespoons of sugar in food processor. Pulse to combine.
- Add butter and pulse to a coarse meal texture.
- With machine running, quickly pour in 1 cup cream. Stop mixing when dough starts to come together. Don't overwork!
- Place dough on a floured work surface & bring it together with your hands. Shape into a circle 1 1/4 inches thick. Cut into 8 wedges.
- Place the scones on a greased baking sheet. Brush with the remaining 1 tablespoon of cream & sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake 15 minutes until set & light golden brown.
- Remove from oven & cool.
- Toss the peaches in a bowl with 3 tablespoons cooled simple syrup & the mint leaves. (Store remaining syrup in the fridge for later use).
- Let peaches sit for 10 minutes then puree 1/4 of the mixture & add back.
- To serve, split scones in half & place on plates. Divide peaches and pour over. Replace scone tops.