Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from a restaurant in Atlanta, Georgia.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup stone-ground white cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups okra (sliced crosswise to quarter inch thick discs)
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute till translucent and slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Place cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, and pepper in a large bowl and whisk together to blend. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the eggs and water.
- Blend sparingly till dry ingredients are just moistened. Batter will be thick. Fold in the cooled onion mixture and okra.
- In a heavy skillet, pour oil to a depth of 1 inch and heat to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop 2 heaping tablespoons of batter per fritter onto the lined baking sheet and flatten each slightly with the back of the spoon.
- Using a spatula, lift each patty and slide each into the hot oil. Cook a few at a time, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Fry until golden brown on one side, approximately 2 minutes.
- Carefully flip the fritter and continue to fry on the other side until golden brown, approximately 2 minutes. Remove from oil and drain on a rack.