Recipe by grandma2969
these pancakes are soft and delicate with just a hint of the molasses flavor..these resemble an etheral cornbread in the shape of a puffy flat cake. serve them Missouri style, with maple syrup and crisp bacon
Top Review by Delicious as it Looks
Wonderful pancakes! I love cornbread served with syrup, so I knew I would love cornmeal pancakes. I'm really liking molasses right now, so that aspect also appealed to me. I love the texture and flavor of these pancakes. I added some cinnamon and ground cloves, which I knew would go great with the molasses. Delicious!
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon dark molasses
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk, molasses and melted butter.
- add the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- add the cornmeal last, stirring just until combined; the batter will be slightly lumpy.
- drop by tablespoons ful on a hot greased griddle until bubbles form around the outer edges.
- turn and brown on the other side --
- serve with butter and sorghum molasses or maple syrup.