Recipe by Dorel
This is a healthy recipe with the wheat germ in it. This is from the Kretschmer Wheat Germ web site. I didn't have skim evaporated milk, used powdered buttermilk and water. Used 1 egg and no egg white.
Top Review by Spiphibus
I will say first off I did change a few things. First off, I added honey and some vanilla for a little added sweetness. I used whole wheat flour, and I baked for 25 min at 350 for a nice perfect golden color. :) Oh, and I didn't have non-fat yogurt so I used strawberry banana yoplus yogurt. lol. It worked. These are so yummy, nice and moist yet thick. Perfect breakfast meal. They have a sweet fruity flavor with a cornbread taste too. Very good. I used a 12 muffin tin that I greased with crisco and they slid right out.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup kretschmer wheat germ, any flavor
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup fat-free evaporated milk or 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 -2 cup fresh blueberries or 1 -2 cup frozen blueberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400* Grease or paper line 12 muffin cups, or 6 jumbo size muffin cups.
- Combine corn meal, flour, sugar, wheat germ and baking powder in large bowl.
- Combine milk, vegetable oil, yogurt, egg and egg white in small bowl, stir until blended.
- Add to corn meal mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes for 12 muffins or about 25 minutes for 6 or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes, remove to wire rack to cool slightly.