Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons double-action baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 9 1⁄2 ounces lard (cup plus 3 Tbsp) or 9 1⁄2 ounces shortening, chilled (cup plus 3 Tbsp)
- 1⁄2 cup ice water
- 2 cups lean beef
- 3⁄4 cup ground lean pork
- 1 lb boiling potato, to make 3 cups diced
- 1 medium onion
- 6 ounces rutabagas, diced
- Dough: Make the dough in your usual way several hours or a day or two in advance. Wrap in plastic and chill.
- Before rolling dough leave it out at room temperature for 1/2 hour.
- It should be cool but not icy cold.
- Just before filling, roll into large circle 3/16-inch thick and cut 6 disk shaped rounds about 7 1/2 to 8-inches in diameter.
- Filling: Dice the beef, pork and onion.
- Add the potatoes and rutabaga and toss all the ingredients together with 1 teaspoon of salt and plenty of pepper.
- Form the Pasties: Divide the filling into 6 portions and place one in the center of each disk of dough.
- Rapidly paint a 1/2-inch border of cold water around the edge of each disk, then fold edges together, crimping into an upstanding frill with your fingers.
- Pierce a small steam hole in each side and place on a greased baking sheet. Place on middle shelf of a preheated 425°F oven.
- Turn down to 350°F after 12 to 15 minutes; when the pasties begin to brown, continue baking for about 45 minutes until crisp and bubbling.
- Serve them hot, warm or cold (and you may reheat them). Serve with your favorite salad or coleslaw.