Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
this is Fast Food at its best: tasty, comforting, fast, easy, cheap -
- 1 (12 ounce) can corned beef
- 2 (15 ounce) cansof whole potatoes, drained
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 fried eggs, if desired
- Peel and chop onion.
- Melt butter in oil in a large skillet.
- Add onion and fry briefly.
- Add corned beef and break up into hash.
- Slice potatoes into corned beef and toss until warmed through.
- Fry eggs separately to put on top of the hash, or on the side, if desired.
- [potatoes could also be diced, for toddlers].
I've made this for years and we too love it. I tend to let mine cook long enough to crisp up a bit. We like our hash a bit crispy. This is comfort food at its best. I often make with left over baked potatoes.
OMG! This is a recipe my mom made for us and I make for my children, they adore it and their friends make a special trip to get a bowl of it. Yes, comfort food and cheap. I don't measure but I use about 3 cloves of chopped garlic to mine. When I make like my mom, I deep fry the diced potatoes after I fry my onions and garlic. Never served it with eggs but we love this simple dish. Thanks for posting now I can add it to my daughters cookbook for when she moves out on her own. I hate posting recipes, too much trouble.