Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
An excellent change from corned beef and cabbage. Worth the time to make!
Make and share this Corned Beef Cumberland recipe from Food.com.
- 3 -4 lbs corned beef
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole allspice (optional)
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 whole clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded orange rind
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄2 cup red currant jelly
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons port wine
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- Rinse corned beef in cold water.
- Place in a large pot.
- Add vinegar, brown sugar (2 Tablespoons), allspice and sliced orange and cover meat with warm water Cover, bring to slow simmer and simmer gently for 2- 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove beef from cooking liquid and place in a baking dish.
- Score fat into diamonds and stud with cloves.
- Blend brown sugar (1/2 cup, 4 T) with mustard and break up lumps, stir in orange juice.
- Pour evenly over beef and add 1/2 cup cooking liquid from pot to baking dish Cook in a moderate (350 degrees) for 30 minutes, basting often with liquid in dish Serve hot with Cumberland sauce--recipe follows.
- Put 2 Tablespoons finely shredded orange rind and 1 Tablespoon finely shredded lemon rind in a small pan and cover with cold water Bring to the boil, boil 3 minutes and drain off water.
- Add to rinds 1/2 cup red currant jelly, 1/2 cup orange juice, 2 Tablespoons port and 1 teaspoon dry mustard.
- Stir over moderate heat until jelly melts.
- Blend 1 tablespoon cornflour with 2 Tablespoons lemon juice and stir into pan Stir constantly until thickened, then boil gently for 2 minutes.