3 hrs 30 mins
An excellent change from corned beef and cabbage. Worth the time to make!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 lbs corned beef
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice (optional)
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 whole clove
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1Rinse corned beef in cold water.
- 2Place in a large pot.
- 3Add vinegar, brown sugar (2 Tablespoons), allspice and sliced orange and cover meat with warm water Cover, bring to slow simmer and simmer gently for 2- 2 1/2 hours.
- 4Remove beef from cooking liquid and place in a baking dish.
- 5Score fat into diamonds and stud with cloves.
- 6Blend brown sugar (1/2 cup, 4 T) with mustard and break up lumps, stir in orange juice.
- 7Pour evenly over beef and add 1/2 cup cooking liquid from pot to baking dish Cook in a moderate (350 degrees) for 30 minutes, basting often with liquid in dish Serve hot with Cumberland sauce--recipe follows.
- 8Put 2 Tablespoons finely shredded orange rind and 1 Tablespoon finely shredded lemon rind in a small pan and cover with cold water Bring to the boil, boil 3 minutes and drain off water.
- 9Add to rinds 1/2 cup red currant jelly, 1/2 cup orange juice, 2 Tablespoons port and 1 teaspoon dry mustard.
- 10Stir over moderate heat until jelly melts.
- 11Blend 1 tablespoon cornflour with 2 Tablespoons lemon juice and stir into pan Stir constantly until thickened, then boil gently for 2 minutes.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Corned Beef Cumberland
Serving Size: 1 (349 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 744.3
- Calories from Fat 391
- Total Fat 43.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.4 g
- Cholesterol 222.4 mg
- Sodium 2587.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 33.8 g
- Protein 42.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: