Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook3 hrs 45 mins
This recipe comes from Chef Tim James of The Local in Saratoga Springs, New York.
Make and share this Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs beef brisket
- 6 peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 large onion, peeled and left whole
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 head cabbage, cored and cut
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut
- 1⁄2 cup peeled diced apple (or 1/4 cup apple sauce)
- 1 dash Guinness stout (may be omitted if desired) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Irish whiskey (may be omitted if desired) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Place beef, peppercorns, garlic, onion, bay leaves and salt in large pot.
- Fill with enough water to cover by about 1 inch.
- Bring to a slow boil for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender enough to pull apart with a fork.
- Add cabbage, carrots, potatoes, apple, Guinness and whiskey and simmer for about 15 minutes (or until potatoes are tender).
- Remove pot from heat, save the liquid, transfer meat and vegetables to serving platter.
- Discard onion, skim any fat that comes to surface of liquid.
- Add the butter and parsley to reserved liquid.
- To serve: plate vegetables with the beef, (remember to slice the beef against the grain) and spoon the liquid over top.