Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs 45 mins
This recipe comes from Chef Tim James of The Local in Saratoga Springs, New York.
Make and share this Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs beef brisket
- 6 peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 large onion, peeled and left whole
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 head cabbage, cored and cut
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut
- 1⁄2 cup peeled diced apple (or 1/4 cup apple sauce)
- 1 dash Guinness stout (may be omitted if desired) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Irish whiskey (may be omitted if desired) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Place beef, peppercorns, garlic, onion, bay leaves and salt in large pot.
- Fill with enough water to cover by about 1 inch.
- Bring to a slow boil for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender enough to pull apart with a fork.
- Add cabbage, carrots, potatoes, apple, Guinness and whiskey and simmer for about 15 minutes (or until potatoes are tender).
- Remove pot from heat, save the liquid, transfer meat and vegetables to serving platter.
- Discard onion, skim any fat that comes to surface of liquid.
- Add the butter and parsley to reserved liquid.
- To serve: plate vegetables with the beef, (remember to slice the beef against the grain) and spoon the liquid over top.