3 hrs 45 mins
This recipe comes from Chef Tim James of The Local in Saratoga Springs, New York.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 lbs beef brisket
- 6 peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 large onion, peeled and left whole
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 head cabbage, cored and cut
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut
- 1/2 cup peeled diced apple (or 1/4 cup apple sauce)
- 1 dash Guinness stout (may be omitted if desired) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Irish whiskey (may be omitted if desired) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1Place beef, peppercorns, garlic, onion, bay leaves and salt in large pot.
- 2Fill with enough water to cover by about 1 inch.
- 3Bring to a slow boil for 20 minutes.
- 4Reduce heat and simmer for 2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender enough to pull apart with a fork.
- 5Add cabbage, carrots, potatoes, apple, Guinness and whiskey and simmer for about 15 minutes (or until potatoes are tender).
- 6Remove pot from heat, save the liquid, transfer meat and vegetables to serving platter.
- 7Discard onion, skim any fat that comes to surface of liquid.
- 8Add the butter and parsley to reserved liquid.
- 9To serve: plate vegetables with the beef, (remember to slice the beef against the grain) and spoon the liquid over top.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Corned Beef and Cabbage
Serving Size: 1 (973 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1209.0
- Calories from Fat 642
- Total Fat 71.4 g
- Saturated Fat 29.2 g
- Cholesterol 193.8 mg
- Sodium 322.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.8 g
- Sugars 16.7 g
- Protein 55.0 g