Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Food & Wine January 2007. Credited to Paula Disbrowe.
Make and share this Cornbread With Scallions - Cornbread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coarse stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup corn oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon corn oil, divided
- 8 scallions, white and tender green parts only, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven to heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk, honey, eggs and 1/3 cup of the oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the cornmeal mixture and whisk just until combined.
- Stir in the scallions.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the hot skillet and swirl to coat.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and bake for about 30 minutes, until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly, then turn the corn bread out onto a plate. Invert it onto a rack to cool.
- (OR serve the corn bread hot from the skillet.).