Recipe by chia
easy and quick to make, this is also good for cornbread stuffing, from the ny times.
Top Review by mouxgie
Excellent recipe. I didn't have canned creamed corn and used regular canned corn instead, as well as substituting sour cream for the buttermilk. I also added a pinch of baking powder as I suspected that the baking soda was in error. Maybe not, but it seemed to work anyway.
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- 1 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk (whole or reduced fat)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup extra-sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- cayenne pepper, a pinch (optional)
- grated nutmeg (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Place oven rack in middle of oven. Heat to 400 degrees.
- Combine corn, cornmeal, eggs, salt, baking soda and buttermilk. Stir well; add oil and ¾ cup of the cheese. Stir to blend.
- Place butter in 9-by-9-inch baking pan and put in oven until melted, not browned.
- Pour batter into pan. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean.