Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Sausage loaded dressing. Rosemary Garlic Seasoning was used to flavor the stuffing but your favored poultry seasoning will work fine. This makes enough to stuff the bird and have a casserole for crisper dressing. Leftovers can be frozen for future use.
- 10 ounces spicy pork Italian sausage, casing removed and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 large carrot, diced fine
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning, Rosemary Garlic Seasoning
- 16 ounces cornbread, crumbs Pepperidge Farm
- 2 cups chicken broth (Recipe #77787) or 2 cups turkey broth (Giblet Stock from Turkey or Chicken or ?? for Soup or Gravy)
- Brown sausage in large skillet over medium heat until no longer pink, stirring to crumble meat.
- Remove fat from cooked sausage.
- Add butter to sausage over medium high. Add onions, celery, carrot and garlic cook for 10 minutes or until onions are softened. Stir in dried sage and poultry seasoning, cook 1 minute more.
- Combine cornbread crumbs t the sausage and onion mixture.
- Pour broth over stuffing. Toss lightly until evenly moistened. Adding more or less to taste.
- Stuff a turkey or place in a greased casserole.
- This can be placed in the oven when the turkey comes out to rest for perfect timing.
- Preheat oven to 350 degree. Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through. For drier stuffing, uncover during last 15 minutes of baking.