Recipe by MrsK
I got this delicious recipe from a cookbook, but didn't keep its name... This is what we'd call in Brazil a "Bolo de Milho" or corn cake, that we'd eat with a nice hot cup of black coffee. According to the recipe: "Corn pone is different from cornbread as it has the texture of pound cake and is slightly sweeter and less crumbly than cornbread."
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar (or 2/3 cup honey)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup and 5 tbsp milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- In large bowl combine sugar and shortening; beat well. Add eggs and beat well. Add dry ingredients, alternating with milk, stirring just until moitened.
- Turn into greased and floured 9" x 5" loaf pan. Bake at 300 F for 55-60 minutes, until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan.