Recipe by DeeCooks
A mish-mash of several recipes, but mostly based on a Real Simple version. The bacon gives it a good smokey taste and it's even fairly healthy! Anything that tastes this rich and is low fat....mmmmmm :)
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced (white and light green parts)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 cups fat-free half-and-half (or use whole milk)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into a 1/2-inch dice
- 3 cups corn kernels, I've used leftover BBQ'd corn and it works great. (from 4-6 ears, fresh or frozen, The carmelization really makes it taste great...)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the bacon until browned and crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Set bacon aside, spoon off and discard all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings.
- Add the green onions, thyme leaves, salt, and pepper. Cook til softened.
- Sprinkle flour over and stir to make a roux.
- Add the half and half, broth, and potatoes. Simmer gently until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. (They help thicken the chowder.).
- Add the corn and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the reserved bacon.