Recipe by yooper
These awesome flavored biscuits are perfect for a Sunday dinner or holiday meal. From Bon Apetit.
Top Review by Bmelvin
I don't know how anyone could not love these. They are absolutely wonderful! I've been making these for Thanksgiving and Christmas every year. I get into trouble with my family if I don't make them. They're a little messy to make, but well worth it. I always hope there are leftovers which I like for breakfast.
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 10 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons packed dried rubbed sage
- 1 cup thawed drained frozen corn kernels (5 ounces)
- 1 egg, beaten to blend (glaze)
- fresh ground black pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375.
- Butter heavy large baking sheet.
- Cook bacon in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until brown and crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer bacon to paper towels.
- Crumble bacon into small pieces.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon drippings; discard remainder.
- Mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl to blend.
- Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk 2 eggs, buttermilk, sage and reserved 2 tablespoons bacon drippings in medium bowl to blend.
- Add to flour mixture and stir until moist dough forms.
- Mix in corn and bacon.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead gently until smooth, about 8 turns.
- Roll out dough on work surface to 10x8-inch rectangle (about 3/4 inch thick).
- Cut rectangle into 12 squares.
- Place squares on prepared baking sheet, spacing evenly.
- Brush biscuits with egg glaze.
- Sprinkle lightly with ground pepper, if desired.
- Bake biscuits until golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer to rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Wrap in foil and let stand at room temperature. Rewarm foil-wrapped biscuits in 375 oven for 5 minutes.).