Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 mins
Chill a beer for this nice and spicy dish! The elbows should be cooked al dente in well salted water to prevent broken mushy noodles. Do salt the water liberally. (2 teaspoons is not a lot once mixed with the rest of the ingredients) Seasons the pasta and avoids father salting in the recipe. This can be eaten as a side or a main balanced meal. I opted for yogurt and smart balance for better health. But you can use sour cream and mayo.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni (cooked al dente drained and spread on a towel to cool preventing farther cooking.)
- 16 ounces canned low sodium corn (rinsed, drained and smoked or grilled for flavor)
- 16 ounces low-sodium black beans, and drained
- 1 lime, juice
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo, Minced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup sliced scallion
- 1 cup salsa (your favorite,I do hot)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped or
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup smart balance mayonnaise
- Mix all ingredients together and chill 1 hour to overnight.
- Do additional mayo or olive oil just before serving if extra creaminess is desired.
This is a flavorful salad that is perfect for a large potluck, as it makes a lot of salad. We brought it to a neighborhood block party yesterday. DH smoked the canned corn in our stovetop smoker. I used a little more chipotle in adobo than a Tb and it gave just the right amount of smoky spiciness without being overpowering to those that enjoy their food mild. I did use a medium salsa. I loved the idea of combining mayo and Greek yogurt. This really worked in the recipe making it a bit healthier than it otherwise would be. We ended up salting and peppering the salad to taste after melding in the fridge a few hours. Made for June 2013 Veggie Swap.
I love pasta salads during the summer months. This is such a refreshing change of pace. I love the spice/heat from this recipe. The flavors all blend together nicely. I also like the beans and corn additions. Great pasta salad. Thank you!
Another 5 from me. This recipe makes a lot of salad! I made half the recipe and I'm going to have to give some away because there is at least 10 servings. I wanted whole wheat pasta and the only kind I had was bow ties so I went with that. No matter the shape of the pasta it turned out delicious. Loved the chili addition, they aren't too strong but their presence in known. Thanks for a great summer treat Rita.