Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
A extremely wonderful soup from Simon Hopkinson's "roast chicken and other stories". Great on a cold day.
- 600 ml chicken stock or 600 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tom yam broth cubes (can be found in asian food market) (optional)
- 2 inches fresh gingerroot, unpeeled but chopped
- 6 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 4 small fresh red chilies, seeded,and finely chopped
- 2 stalks lemongrass, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 120 g fresh coriander, leaves finely chopped and reserved,stalks also finely chopped
- 1 lime, juice of
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 150 ml heavy cream
- Heat the chicken stock, tom yum cube, ginger, spring onions/scallions, chillies, lemon grass and garlic together.
- Simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Strain the mixture, and liquidize with the coriander/cilantro stalks, lime juice, fish sauec and coconut milk.
- Return to the pan, reheat and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Strain once more and return to the rinsed out pot.
- Add cream, and finely chopped coriander/cilantro to the soup and heat through once more.
- Ladle into bowls and serve immediately.
This is great! Try it without the chicken and rice; add sliced mushrooms.