Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Disclaimer: I did not create this recipe. I found it on a response to a Yahoo Answers question where someone asked for a recipe for McCallister's Chicken Tortilla Soup. I have not attempted this recipe, but it looks promising so I am posting it here for safe keeping. Let me know if you try it before I do!!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 14 1⁄2 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 28 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 4 ounces green chilies, chopped
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups tortilla chips
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced
- Bring about 1 inch of water to a boil in a skillet large enough to hold the chicken in a single layer. Add chicken, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until chicken is done, about 15 minutes. Drain chicken; cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In a medium stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; saute until soft.
- Stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes and their liquid, chicken broth and 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water.
- Stir together cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup water; stir into stockpot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, until broth is slightly thickened.
- Stir in chiles, cheese, cilantro and cooked chicken. Stir until cheese melts, then let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls; serve chips on the side (or crumble a few chips over each bowl of soup). Garnish with chopped green onions.
- Yield: 4 servings.