Recipe by pewpew1982
From the January 2008 Cooking Light magazine. "Vitamin D aids Calcium absorption in dairy foods. One serving of this dish offers about 1/5 of your daily calcium needs. Garnish with fresh grated nutmeg.
- 236.59 ml dark brown sugar, packed
- 59.14 ml cornstarch
- 2.46 ml salt
- 709.77 ml 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 14.79 ml butter
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 88.74 ml frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first three ingredients in a saucepan. Gradually add 2 cups milk; stir with a whisk until blended. Cook mixture to 180 degrees or until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil.
- Combine remaining 1 cup milk, egg, and egg yolk in a bowl; stir with a whisk.
- Gradually add 1 cup of hot milk mixture to egg mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add egg mixture to saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Place pan in a large ice filled bowl for 20 minutes or until mixture cools to room temperature; stir occasionally. Cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap. Chill. Serve with whipped topping.