Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
These are hard to buy here, and expensive, so I thought I would give it a go! Ridiculously easy, and very tasty! I used a 400gr can of red kidney beans, so did not take the time used for preparing dried beans, however, I'm putting down the original recipe here. I used these beans in Shannon W's "Saturday Night Chicken, Cheese and Refried Bean Enchiladas". 'Zaar Saturday Night Chicken, Cheese and Refried Bean Enchiladas. Refried Beans from 'Cooking Class Cookbook'.
- 8 ounces dried red beans or 8 ounces pink beans or 8 ounces pinto beans
- 4 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable shortening, divided, plus
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 1 small white onion, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Rinse beans thoroughly in sieve under cold running water, picking out any debris or blemished beans.
- Place beans, water, 1 tblspn shortening and sliced onion in 3Ltr saucepan. bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer one and a half hours or just until beans are tender, not soft. (Not necessary with canned beans, here is where you save time). The onion cooks properly even in the shorter time, I cooked the beans like this for about 30 minutes.
- Stir in salt, Cover and simmer over very low heat 30 to 45 minutes until beans are very soft. Do not drain.
- (Flavour is improved if beans are prepared to this point, then refrigerated, covered, overnight before completing recipe.).
- Heat remaining 1/3 cup shortening in heavy large skillet over high heat until very hot. Add chopped onion and garlic. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir 4 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Increase heat to high. Add 1 cup undrained beans. Cook and stir, mashing beans with bean or potato masher.
- As beans begin to dry, add another 1 cup undrained beans. Cook and stir, mashing beans with bean or potato masher. Repeat until all beans and cooking liquid have been added and mixture is a coarse puree. adjust heat as needed to prevent beans from sticking and burning. Total cooking time will be around twenty minutes.
- Beans may be served as a side dish, or used as an ingredient in another recipe.
There certainly were reasons our ancestors cooked with lard...and for us to do so. Not always, not everyday... but really...why eat if it's only for nutrition?!?! These are wonderful. I used dried pinto beans and followed the recipe precisely.
I followed Chef on the coast's comments and made my beans just like hers. So delicious and we really enjoyed them with my Mexican rice and burritos! This is my go to recipe for refrieds from now on!
Yummy! I used a can of pinto beans and followed the directions from there. These were great both as a side dish for some enchiladas and for use in another recipe. Thanks for sharing!