1/7 Photos of Cooking Class Refried Beans
2 hrs 20 mins
Karen Elizabeth's Note:
These are hard to buy here, and expensive, so I thought I would give it a go! Ridiculously easy, and very tasty! I used a 400gr can of red kidney beans, so did not take the time used for preparing dried beans, however, I'm putting down the original recipe here. I used these beans in Shannon W's "Saturday Night Chicken, Cheese and Refried Bean Enchiladas". 'Zaar Saturday Night Chicken, Cheese and Refried Bean Enchiladas. Refried Beans from 'Cooking Class Cookbook'.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse beans thoroughly in sieve under cold running water, picking out any debris or blemished beans.
- 2Place beans, water, 1 tblspn shortening and sliced onion in 3Ltr saucepan. bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer one and a half hours or just until beans are tender, not soft. (Not necessary with canned beans, here is where you save time). The onion cooks properly even in the shorter time, I cooked the beans like this for about 30 minutes.
- 3Stir in salt, Cover and simmer over very low heat 30 to 45 minutes until beans are very soft. Do not drain.
- 4(Flavour is improved if beans are prepared to this point, then refrigerated, covered, overnight before completing recipe.).
- 5Heat remaining 1/3 cup shortening in heavy large skillet over high heat until very hot. Add chopped onion and garlic. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir 4 minutes or until onion is softened.
- 6Increase heat to high. Add 1 cup undrained beans. Cook and stir, mashing beans with bean or potato masher.
- 7As beans begin to dry, add another 1 cup undrained beans. Cook and stir, mashing beans with bean or potato masher. Repeat until all beans and cooking liquid have been added and mixture is a coarse puree. adjust heat as needed to prevent beans from sticking and burning. Total cooking time will be around twenty minutes.
- 8Beans may be served as a side dish, or used as an ingredient in another recipe.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cooking Class Refried Beans
Serving Size: 1 (381 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.7
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 884.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 2.8 g