Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I found this from someone else online, and fell in love with it. These are exactly like the cookies I have ordered from Cookie Bouquet. The lemon is what really does it. Make sure to use high-quality, super-fine granulated sugar, as this combined with the powdered sugar gives that melt-in-your-mouth feel. My husband and I enjoy decorating them together.
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup white superfine sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of, only
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars until smooth. Add lemon zest. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add to wet ingredients slowly. Cover and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Roll out dough on floured surface to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.
Delicious cookies! I generally don't enjoy the process of cutout cookies but these are really worth the trouble. I used ultra-fine baker's sugar & the zest of the whole lemon. Iced with Kitt's icing from recipe #261889, these were fun project to make with DD. I'd like to make an actual bouquet with these one day & I'm wondering if the skewers are soaked in water & then baked in the cookie. Thanks for sharing, Vicki! Made & enjoyed for Spring 2009 Pick A Chef.
Tastes good, but does anyone have any advice? Mine did not hold their shape at all. They puffed up and ballooned out. Not quite sure where I went wrong.
I used the zest of a whole lemon and we really enjoyed the lemon flavor! I frosted them with Kittencal's Icing That Hardens (Recipe #261889). Great cookie!