Recipe by LilKiwiChicken
This is an old favourite in New Zealand, I think most people can remember their mum making a lettuce salad and having this dressing on the side. It is printed in the Edmonds Cookbook, but I have printed my mum's recipe below (as it uses less vinegar & salt).
- 1 (397 g) can condensed milk
- 3⁄4 cup vinegar (we normally use malt vinegar)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard (I normally use Coleman's but any similar brand will do)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put approximately 3 tablespoons of condensed milk into a small bowl.
- Add the mustard and mix until the lumps have disappeared.
- Then, add the rest of the condensed milk and salt (if using), and stir until combined.
- Slowly add the vinegar. I normally add 1/4 cup, stir this through, then keep adding more vinegar to taste. You don't need to use the full 3/4 cup, it really depends on how sweet/acidic you like the dressing to be.
- Leave in the fridge until thickened (I find this is normally about 2 hours), then use on your favourite salad.