Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Cooked Rice is used instead of meat to make this a complete meal. This recipe uses the spicy flavor of green chili pepper, without the sharp heat of chili powder. The cooking and prep time does Not include making the rice. If you want a little sweeter taste, use canned Stewed Tomatoes. There is nothing quite like chili to prove that Cooking is a Creative Sport.
- 2 cups cooked rice, made in advance and cooled overnight
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans (with the liquid)
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans (with the liquid)
- 1 cup onion (diced)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup jalapeno pepper (remove the seeds and dice)
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil add the onions.
- Sauté the onions until nearly transparent, and pour into a crock pot.
- Add all the beans, diced tomato and sauce, celery, peppers and spice.
- Cook on the low setting for 8 hours. Or if you are in a hurry, 4 hours on the crock pot's high setting will be enough.
- About an hour prior to serving, melt the butter in a small frying pan, add the flour and stir until a brown paste has formed.
- Add to the crock pot and stir.
- About 10 minutes before serving, add the rice and stir.
- Recipe # 83626 can be used for the same chili using meat.
I made this for dinner tonight - Oh WOW is it hot! Like really spicy hot! You could tell there was a yummy flavor there, but it was impossible to enjoy with your mouth on fire! I followed the recipe exactly, and I think a cup of jalapeno peppers was way too much. We honestly couldn't eat more than a few bites and ended up throwing it all away. I'd like to try it again without the jalapenos - maybe green chilis?
Great flavor!!! This chili actually tastes like chili--as opposed to other veggie chili recipes that just taste like doctored-up beans and rice. I'm definitely making this one again!