Recipe by puppitypup
I like to make this for family get-togethers. It's nice because you can make it up ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until you're ready to cook. In fact, I think it tastes better if you do!
- 1 lb dry ziti pasta
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, for boiling
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for frying
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) package provolone cheese, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground pepper
- 4 green onion tops, diced
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a large deep casserole dish or lasagna pan. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, adding 1 t kosher salt and 1 t olive oil. Add pasta and cook 8 minutes. Pasta should still be firm. Drain.
- Fry onion, garlic, ground beef and Italian sausage in remaining olive oil over medium high heat until browned. (Remove casings from sausage first.) Add spaghetti sauce and reduce heat to low. Add salt if needed.
- In prepared dish or pan, layer half the cooked pasta, all the provolone, all the sour cream, and all the ricotta. Sprinkle a tiny pinch of salt over the ricotta and some fresh ground pepper to taste. Next, Layer all the green onions, and half the meat sauce. Next layer the remaining pasta, all the mozzarella, the remaining meat sauce and top with the parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 35 minutes, or until cheeses have melted. (If you have it layered in a smaller, deep casserole dish, it will take longer to cook than if you have it layered in a more shallow larger lasagna pan.).