Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
A very unique mashed potato casserole topped with a mixture of whipped cream, Gruyere and Parmesan cheese. Cook time is for baking and does not include the boiling of the potatoes. Absolutely delicious!
- 2 lbs baking potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup hot milk
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄3 cup romano cheese
- Peel and quarter potatoes, cover with water, bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain and mash, add the butter and gradually add milk.
- Mash until smooth and stir in salt.
- Place mashed potatoes in a greased shallow casserole dish and cover to keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Whip heavy cream until stiff, then fold in gruyere cheese and 3 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese.
- Spread cream mixture over top of potatoes and sprinkle remaining Parmesan over it.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until top is well browned.
- Serve immediately.
Very decadent, not your every-day-of-the week potato dish (wish it could be though!) We enjoyed it very much.
I actually did make these for company and everyone loved it; served 4 people generously. Sort of a cross between mashed potatoes and potatoes gratin. Attractive and quite tasty. Thanks for posting!