Recipe by stardust_331
The chicken is cooked with peppers, onions and fajita seasoning, which adds a great sauce into the quesadilla. Just about any combination of cheeses works, but my favorite is listed in this recipe. The fajita seasoning is also interchangeable with taco seasoning. It's a hit with the kids and the adults. This recipes tastes good enough to serve to company, and quick to boot! Serve with salsa, sour cream and/or guacamole.
- 1 lb chicken breast, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 ounces colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 (6 -8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package fajita seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Saute the chopped green pepper and onion until they begin to soften. Add the chicken, and saute for 5-7 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through (no longer pink).
- Add the fajita seasoning to the skillet, and the amount of water specified on the back of the taco seasoning package. Cook until the sauce thickens and begins to boil; set aside.
- Heat another medium non-stick skillet between medium-low and medium. Run one of the tortillas (both sides) through water, quickly, to just get the tortilla wet (this will ensure crispy/soft tortillas). Place the tortilla on the skillet for about 5-10 seconds on one side, then flip.
- Cover the tortilla with a layer of colby jack cheese, then the chicken mixture, then cheddar cheese. Run another flour tortilla through water, just one side this time, and place on top (wet side up) of the cheddar cheese.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the cheddar cheese begins to melt (sometimes covering with a lid helps), then flip onto the other side (quickly, so the inside of the quesadilla does not fall out). You may have to press down on the top tortilla while flipping, so that the inside does not fall out. Cook until all the cheese is melted.
- Slice (a pizza cutter works great) and serve with salsa, sour cream and guacamole.