Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
So easy and quick to make, especially after a long day at work.
Make and share this Colorful Weeknight Couscous recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 orange bell peppers or 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 red onion, cut into 1/2 inch wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups couscous
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add peppers, garlic and onion and saute until onions are translucent.
- Add spices and stir well to coat.
- Reduce heat to low and add 2 cups couscous, then the vegetable stock.
- Keep on heat, stirring until all liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, add in butter, mixing until melted.
- Fluff with fork and serve.
I used an instant couscous so just added the hot vegetable stock, put the lid on and let the couscous absorb. I would like to try this again using pearl couscous which I think would suit the vegetables being cut into strips but for the instant couscous I would have prefered them finely diced. We did love the flavour the spices imparted though the DM found it a bit too hot which may have been my doing as I was maybe a little heavy handed with the cayenne. Thank you Shannon W for the recipe and to Annacia for the recommendation, made for I Recommend tag game.
This was very good! I used a red bell pepper, 4 cloves garlic, onion and added some defrosted green peas. I also left out the butter. I'll definitely make this one again. Thanks!
I loved the flavor of this. I made as directed, but only had about 1 1/2 c. of whole wheat couscous so I cut the broth back to 1 1/2 c. as well. I thought that was just enough for the recipe. This seemed to be more than 4 servings!