Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A colorful and healthy salad. Adapted from Diana Rattray, author of Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine. This recipe also fits into Caribbean cuisine!
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced (scallions)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 small summer squash, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup spinach leaves, rolled together tightly and very thinly sliced (chiffonade technique)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1⁄4 cup lentil sprouts (or other sprouts)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups cooked brown rice
- salt and pepper
- Toss prepared vegetables together in a large bowl.
- Place lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Drizzle in olive oil while whisking, to emulsify the liquids.
- Add to the vegetables; cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- Add cooked, cooled rice; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate until serving time.
- Delicious with grilled or broiled steak, chicken or fish.