My husband finally had a great idea for using leftover rotisserie chicken. I used the traditional seasonings with non-traditional methods, still great. These can be frozen before cooking since they are best served fresh. You need frozen empanada dough which is found with the Goya products (there are other brands) and is yellow in color. Or you can make your own using masa harina which would be more authentic.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup chicken, cut into small dice (leftovers)
- 1/2 cup potato, cooked, cut up into small dice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup peas and carrots, cooked
- 1/4 cup tomato, diced (fresh or canned)
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 ounce sazon goya (1/2 packet)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- canola oil or other oil (for frying)
- 1Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a small skillet. Saute onion about 5 minutes. Combine leftover chicken, leftover potato, peas and carrots, sauteed onion in a bowl. Set aside.
- 2Heat remaining oil in same skillet and saute tomato, garlic, green onion, cilantro, cumin, sazon, and salt until mushy. Add to chicken mixture and stir to combine.
- 3Place 1 tablespoon in the middle of an empanada disk. Pinch to seal. I start by bringing up the middle then pinching one side closed then moving on to the other side (you can add more filling if there is room, but they must be securely closed).
- 4Heat at least 1 inch of oil in a clean skillet, or use a deep fryer, over medium high heat. Cook empanadas until golden brown on each side, turning once.
- 5Serve withing a couple of hours either hot or at room temperature.
- 6As you eat you can drizzle filling with fresh lime juice, hot pepper sauce, or any piquant sauce.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Colombian Style Empanada
Serving Size: 1 (38 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 44.6
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 11.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 0.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: