Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a lite and refreshing NO mayo recipe. This has lots of flavor from the cardamom and a hint of flavor from the lavender. Crunch from the salty almonds and Crunch & sweetness from apples and honey. You can use store bought apple chips or my Spiced Apple Slices / Apple Chips To make it easy use store bought sliced cabbage. And a Juicy Pop from the grapes.
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon frsh lavender flowers
- 10 ounces thinly sliced cabbage
- 2 thinly scallions
- 1⁄2 cup sliced seedless grapes
- 1⁄2 cup toatsed sliced almonds
- 1⁄3 cup crushed apple chips
- Place all dressing ingreients in blender and blend to mix.
- Mix all salad ingredients add dressing and toss.
- Chill 1 hour.
For more balance of color, next time I'll use red seedless grapes, not green, and a little bit of red cabbage. I would like to try the salad dressing alone on mixed greens sometime, too. Loved the combination of flavors. Used your dried apple recipe to make the chips. Thanks for sharing. cg
This is a nice alternative to an ordinary cole slaw. I would say it has a somewhat exotic flavor. For our taste, I will slightly reduce the cardamom next time. I could not find apple chips in the store, so I baked some dried apple rings in a slow oven to dry them out (although they did not crisp up until they cooled). The slaw wilts over time, so you can choose how crisp your salad will be by how far ahead you make it.
My wife and I both liked this a lot. We liked it even better the next day. Next time, I may blanch the cabbage first as I like it not so crispy when I eat cole slaw.