Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love this soup. It is quick and easy to make especially if I use the frozen cocktail type meatballs. This recipe was given to me by a friend I worked with years ago.
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup small shell pasta
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- parmesan cheese
- Mix ingredients for meat balls and shape into 3/4 inch balls.
- (sometimes I will use the frozen store bought cocktail type meatballs) In pot place chicken stock, spinach that has been cooked and moisture squeezed out, shredded carrot, small pasta and parsley.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add meatballs to soup and cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes.
- Using wooden spoon, stir soup while gradually pouring in beaten eggs.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand for 2 minutes until eggs set.
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese.
Excellent and easy. I was tempted to skipped the egg because it seemed a bit weird, but did it any way and I am sure glad I did. It gives the soup an amazing texture and you don't even taste the egg. Yum!
We certainly enjoyed this soup. As you said it is very easy to prepare (I used the frozen meatballs). The eggs make it similar to egg drop soup. WONDERFUL! Thanks for sharing, Donna in Niagara Falls.