Recipe by Steve P.
Delicious both at breakfast or as part of the breads served at a holiday meal. Especially nice at Thanksgiving or Christmas served alongside the turkey or ham.
- 1 1⁄4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup unsifted flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, stir together corn meal, flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and brown sugar.
- In a second bowl, whisk egg with buttermilk (or sour milk) and oil.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients all at once, stirring just until blended.
- Spoon into well greased muffin pans, filling about ¾ full.
- Bake in a preheated 425°F oven for 20 minutes or until a golden brown.
- Enjoy warm, cooled to room temperature or split and toasted.