Recipe by Fauve
This Kaluah-imitation makes great gifts for friends at Christmas. Just remember the 30 days it takes for the flavors to mature. This recipe from an old college buddy, who gave out beautifully ribbon-decorated bottles for birthday presents and special events.
- 3 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 inches vanilla beans, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup instant coffee granules
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 quart vodka
- 2 teaspoons glycerin (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix sugar, vanilla and the 2 cups water in a small saucepan.
- Stir over moderate heat until sugar dissolves.
- Continue cooking for 30 minutes, without stirring.
- In a large bowl or pitcher, mix coffee with the 1/4 cup boiling water until coffee dissolves.
- Stir in vodka and glycerin.
- Strain vanilla syrup into vodka mixture.
- Mix well and pour into sterilized bottles.
- Close bottles with caps or corks.
- Let liqueur age at least 30 days.