Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Just about the best homemade coffee cake I have ever tasted!!!!!
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, add to the sour cream
Mixture for middle and top of cake
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup grated walnuts
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cinnamon
- Cream sugar and shortening.
- Add remaining ingredients and beat well.
- Put half the mixture into a greased cake pan.
- Sprinkle with a mixture of white sugar, cinnamon and grated walnuts.
- Add remaining cake mixture and top with sugar, cinnamon and walnut mixture.
- Set oven at 350°. I usually bake them for about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours. You can stick a toothpick or one of those kabob holders in the middle. If it comes out clean, then the cake is done. It usually turns a kind of golden brown on top. You should let it cool for awhile so as not to burn your mouth.
Wonderful! The best tasting homemade coffecake I've ever tasted and so easy. The only change I would recommend in the directions is, if you are going to use a Bundt Cake Pan- Sprinkle the Mixture(powder,nuts) on first, then pour in your batter, then pour in more of the mixture(powder,nuts),then the rest of the batter so when you flip it over it will appear on the top. Enjoy! Served this with Overnight Egg Bake #19970. An easy and wonderful brunch prepared the night before.
We took this cake to church this morning to have with coffee. It was devoured!! I was a little upset that there was none left to bring home with me! This is a great and simple recipe. It's much less sweet than most other cakes which makes it a perfect breakfast item. Next time I might add more walnuts, but the recipe is great just the way it is. Thanks Marj!
INCREDIBLE! SO MOIST! I may fiddle with the topping, I like the combo in the middle of the cske, but it got a bit brittle on the top... still, the cake was delicious. My hubby expressed surprise at how quickly this one disappeared... something like "at the rate things usually go around here, I thought I could still have a piece", but, alas, it had been devoured already! Thanks for a delicious "keeper"! Suzy :D