Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This needs about 1 hour cooling and 1 hour chilling
- 1 cup egg white
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup cold coffee
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 egg yolks
Coffee Cream Filling
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 dash salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons coffee coffee liqueur or 2 tablespoons cold strong coffee
- Move oven rack to lowest position,heat oven to 325.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tarterin a large bowl with mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form,set aside.
- Mix flour,sugar,baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat in coffee,oil,vanilla and egg yolks on loww speed,1 minute.
- Gradually pour coffee mixture over egg whites,folding with rubber spatula just until blended.
- Push batter into ungreased angel food cake pan (tube pan),10x14 inches.
- Cut gently through batter with metal spatula or a knife to break air pockets.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly.
- Immediately turn pan upside down onto heatproof funnel or bottle,.
- Let hand about 2 hours until cake is cool.
- Loosen sides of cake with a knife,remove from pan.
- Cut cake horizontally,fill layers with coffee cream filling.
- Store covered in the refrigerator.
- COFFEE CREAM FILLING: Mix sugar,cornstarch,salt,whipping cream and egg yolk in 1 quart saucepan until blended.
- Heat over medium heat,stirring constantly until thickened,remove from heat.
- Stir in liqueur or coffee.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour until chilled.